When it comes to storing any kind of food, it is important to seal it in a way that will keep it fresh and ready to consume. The same goes for your cat’s food. Luckily, there are so many great food storage options and ideas to make sealing up food easy and quick. Many dry cat foods come in bags and resealing these bags is almost impossible. Because of this, it is important to store your cat’s kibble in ways that will keep it fresh for weeks to come. You wouldn’t want your own food just sitting around, open to the air, dirt, and dust, so don’t let your cat’s food fall victim to bad storage methods, either. Check out some of the best and most creative ways to keep your cat’s dry food fresh and delicious.
Utilize reusable plastic containers
Everyone seems to have a cabinet full of reusable plastic containers that they use for food storage. Using one of these containers is a great and affordable way to keep your cat’s food neat and organized. These containers come in a variety of sizes and styles so you can have one designated just for your cat’s food. If you don’t have any of these containers, they are super affordable and can be found in grocery stores, home stores, and discount stores to name a few.
Get creative with glass jars
Glass jars are another great storage option for your cat’s dry food. Glass jars come with screw-on tops or clamped tops to ensure a secure, airtight seal. These jars are often used for storing food that comes in non-resealable packages. They clearly display the contents so you can quickly find what you are looking for.
Glass jars are a new, modern way to store food. If your pantry is already full of organized and labeled glass jars, then this is a great way to store your cat’s dry food. The glass jar will ensure a fresh, secure, and airtight seal.
Save space with resealable plastic bags
If you don’t have a lot of room for big containers or you just prefer bagged food, then releasable plastic bags are a great option for storing cat food. Resealable plastic bags are a super affordable and convenient way to store cat food. Nearly everyone already has some of these bags in their pantry or cabinet so it is great for last-minute storage. They will help your cat’s dry food remain fresh for weeks to come.
Extra tips and tricks
Once you figure out what container you want to store your cat’s dry food in, it is important to know about some other great storage tips and tricks to ensure the freshest food for your feline friend. Check out some of these great ideas:
• Label everything. No matter what container, glass jar, or resealable bag you use for storage, make sure you always label it. It’s really helpful if you label the container with the food’s expiration date so you know exactly when to use it by. With plastic bags, you can write on the bag directly with a permanent marker. For other storage options like jars or plastic containers use labeling stickers so you don’t mark up the reusable containers.
• Put your storage container in a dry, cool place. Your cat’s dry food needs to be stored in a dark, dry, cool place so it stays fresh. By storing it in too warm of a location, it could lead to the destruction of vitamins in the food and allow bacteria to grow.
• Keep food that will expire soon at the front. Even if you already labeled all of your containers neatly with the right expiration dates, it is still helpful to keep food with the shortest shelf life at the front of the pantry or cabinet. Cats can be pretty demanding during dinner time, so you may feel rushed to get your beloved feline their food. By keeping the shortest expiration dates at the front, you don’t have to worry about reading through them when it’s time to feed your pet.
Dry cat food always comes in bulky bags that don’t reseal, making the food vulnerable to the environment and contaminants such as dirt and dust. The best way to ensure your cat’s food remains fresh, edible, and delicious is by storing it in a sturdy, sealable container or bag. There are many great storage options available so choose the one that works best for you. By utilizing these tips and tricks you can ensure your pet has fresh food every day, and that will lead to a healthy and happy cat for years to come.
- Great storage ideas to keep cat food fresh
- Freeze-dried vs. dehydrated dog food: Which is best?
- Why cats shouldn’t eat dog food
- Healthy cat treats: What you should look for
- 3 snakes that make great pets and love to be handled