Hear the word “Halloween,” and your mind immediately starts thinking of carved pumpkins, bags of chocolate, and festive costumes. People often look into Halloween costumes for their dogs so they can dress them up for the holiday. But what about cats? Are there cat Halloween costumes out there? Of course! Why should our feline friends miss out on the fun?
You’ll want to find the perfect cat Halloween costume for your fur baby. There are plenty of festive costumes for cats to choose from, but it’s important to get one that’s not only cute, but also safe and easy to get on and off. Your furry friend might not be wild about dressing up, so be sure to consider their behaviors and preferences when deciding which costume is right for them. We’ve highlighted five great Halloween costumes for cats to help narrow down your choices as you shop.
Unless you have a hairless breed of cat, odds are your kitty hasn’t spent much time in clothing. That makes shopping for a cat costume a little trickier. Not impossible, though. If you’re willing to take some time with the process, you’ll find Halloween costumes for pets that’ll suit your feisty feline.
- Measure twice: Halloween pet outfits aren’t always specific to cats — some work for cats OR dogs. Look over the measurement guidelines carefully so your cat doesn’t feel squashed or end up drowning in their new costume.
- Fabric choice: Cats love to slink and stretch. You want fabrics that let them enjoy their natural movements. Cotton and cotton-polyester blends have the most give of any materials and make the best cat costumes.
- Watch the head: Many costumes for animals feature headpieces. They’re adorable, but you don’t want to obstruct your cat’s whiskers. Remember, those whiskers help your cat sense the world around them.
If you’ve never placed an outfit on your cat before, Halloween may present a new experience — for both of you. It’s essential to observe your cat’s body language during the costuming process. Negative responses indicate that it’s time to remove the costume and give your cat a break. Look for signs of distress such as:
- Flattened ears
- Lashing tail
You may also see your cat stiffen up and fall flat on the floor. (Amusing and alarming all at once!) The reaction’s normal for cats combatting a new “threat.” As your pet adjusts to the cat costume, they’ll get up and start moving. Provide reassurance and cat treats, and they’ll learn the outfit isn’t out to get them.
Cat bat wings costume
This costume may be simple, but that’s what makes it such a great choice for your cat — especially if you have a black one. These felt wings are lightweight and let your mouser move around without being restrained. They’re adjustable, and one size fits most. Velcro closures secure the wings in place, so you can quickly put them on and remove them as needed.
- Comfortable for your cat
- Convenient Velcro closures
- Available in only one size
- Wings are a little basic (consider adding some glitter)
Frisco bread cat costume
With this costume, your cat can attend Halloween as the in-bread cat meme! It’s a realistic-looking costume and features hook-and-loop fasteners for easy on and off. One size fits most, and the soft design helps your cat stay comfy. You’ll use this costume at Halloween and year-round for fun photoshoots.
- Soft, comfy design
- Easy on and off
- Available in only one size
RYPET cat Halloween costume
With this fun cat costume, you’ll get both a collar and a hat, both made of quality polyester. The collar features six jingle bells for a festive sound that’s sure to make your cat the life of the party. The collar and hat are both adjustable.
- Adjustable collar and hat
- Six jingle bells on the collar
- One size only
- Jingle bells might take some getting used to
Pet Krewe lion mane costume
With this fun costume, you can let your cat’s inner lion roar. Perfect for the king of the jungle, this costume will look fantastic on an orange or tabby cat. A hook-and-loop closure allows for a semi-customized fit. This mane can be easily hand-washed for cleaning as needed.
- Highly realistic
- Only some sizing adjustment possible
Frisco front-walking teddy bear costume
This cute and cuddly costume will make it look like your cat is a walking teddy bear when viewed from the front. The costume is made with soft plush, so it’s easy and comfy to wear. The separate headpiece includes earholes to keep your cat comfortable. It’s available in six sizes, so you can get the perfect fit.
- Available in multiple sizes
- The headpiece has ear holes for comfort
- Might be a little overwhelming for more timid cats
- Your cat needs to step into the sleeves
These Halloween costumes for cats are plenty cute and fun, but they’re also designed with your cat’s safety in mind. They feature soft materials and designs that keep your cat comfortable, increasing the chance that he’ll be willing to wear the costume. When choosing a costume, be sure to consider how easy it is to put on and how quickly you can remove it in case your cat decides he doesn’t feel like dressing up. Velcro closures are quick and simple to undo, and they can help keep your cat safe. When introducing a costume, always put it on your cat gradually and give him time to get used to wearing it. By Halloween, hopefully, he’s ready to rock his outfit.
- Video: This is everything that can go wrong with your cat and your Christmas tree
- Can cats eat turkey? These are the Thanksgiving foods your cat can eat safely
- Can cats have autism? Here’s what to know about unusual behavior in cats
- Why is my cat peeing on my bed? The real truth (and how to stop this gross habit)
- Does your cat sleep with you? You should be thrilled